scenes from a study, somewhere in los angeles.

shhhhh.

*lookstocamera*

who-we-are-in-RL is Studying. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

she’s reading all sorts of strange Texts. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

like the Financial Times.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

and a lot of Mr. GibsonOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

who quotes many deeply curious Articles like this one written by Mr. V. Bush (no relation to the former presidents, apparently) in The Atlantic (a magazine, not the wide expanse of water when he was floating after a rescue from a large liner) in 1945 when he (V. Bush) “predicted” (we prefer to think “imagined in a glorious yet slightly troubling Vision of the Future”) the internet (he called it Memex which is sort of catchy when you say it out loud – try it – nice, right?) and hand-held computational devices that talked to a cloud (not a real one, a massive configuration of networked machines). OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

it sounds a little bit rude (or Cricket Terminology if you don’t quite catch what someone just said) but it’s actually a very clever speech that he gave. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

and now she sits and Makes Sense of it All. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAor takes to the boudoir to call interview subjects (do you think they guess that we’re not at a desk? – that’s the beauty of the Princess Phone – it has no camera – and we know this because we took apart the last one to find out and couldn’t put it back together again).

*sighs*

of course with all this work (which is a Very good thing), we haven’t been to a (moving) Picture House or a Museum-with-Pictures for Ages.

the last one we saw was This:

yi_dai_zong_shi_ver3and it was jolly exciting (but we have a Sneaking suspicious it was also Research – especially as there was no review forthcoming for our friend Arianna).

so while who-we-are-in-RL is Sequestered in the Study, we’ve started doing some light reading of our own in preparation for our business trip to South Africa

gosh.

how’s Tuesday where you are in the world?

and have You managed to see any movies or great works of Art recently?

do. send. reviews and links.

we love to hear what’s going on out there.

*looksoutofwindow*

15 thoughts on “scenes from a study, somewhere in los angeles.

1. dekabrista says:

I’ve been to Italy, a week ago. In Rome I read “The Sermon on the Fall of Rome” by Jérôme Ferrari, and it almost tore me apart.
    Now back home (still feeling so very homesick) I’m very eager to change my life.

2. seoulflaneur says:

Love the quote from Le Carre article (“all of us have an aunt in the secret service”), and really love the peaceful atmosphere of the workstation. I’m looking forward to the holidays next week (Korean Thanksgiving, meaning we get the entire week off starting this weekend) doing absolutely nothing but spending time for myself.

I’m completely jetlagged from my super short business trip to the US last week and it looks like it’ll be another sleepless night for me. :( But that means more reading and writing, even if in half-daze. I made time to see “How to Make a Book with Steidl” at a local contemporary art museum here before my business trip and it was actually the first exhibit in a long time that truly inspired and moved me. The online description of the exhibit is available here: http://www.daelimmuseum.org/eng/exhibition/exhibition_1.do

I’ve also been inspired by your Moleskine volumes to try journaling by hand again, and I realized that I actually write quite a bit when I write by hand! So here’s to Moleskines and writing by hand.

안녕하세요!!

we did enjoy your IG shot from inside-the-plane-at-the-front.

will you be taking us through korean thanksgiving? we’re Very Deeply Curious about other lands and customs. please. do.

thank you for being inspired by the moleskine fetish. it’s nice that there’s so many of us online. we see so few in RL.

off to *click* to visit the Steidl courtesy of your link – much appreciated!!

*wavingtoSeoul*

사랑스러운 저녁이

tg xx

1. seoulflaneur says:

Unfortunately I’m not going to be engaged in any sort of traditional celebrations I’m afraid—the crux of the celebrations involve spending time with your family and overstuffing yourself with homemade goodies, which I feel like is universal (across cultures and holidays, too). I’ve told everyone I’m sitting this one out in Seoul and really spending some time for myself, which I haven’t had too much of recently. While I feel terrible about not joining my family, I also know that no one enjoys being around a tired grump. But someday, perhaps when I visit my family, I will write about the holidays here—the whole nine yards of it.

indulge us just for a moment…..if you’d be so kind….what’s the menu (surely not turkey and that awful green beans thing the Americans serve up with canned onions?)

curious…..as You Know.

hope you get some nice rest and feel refreshed and inspired during the hols…..

*wavingfromlosangeles* (we really do wave when we type that)

1. seoulflaneur says:

Yes, the menu is quite different! From what I recall from my childhood, when we celebrated this holiday in all of its traditional grandeur: There is no one set centerpiece menu as you have with the Thanksgiving turkey in the States (but then again, traditional Korean cuisine is more about flooding tabletops with numerous, small plates); each family brings out the “best” version of traditional Korean cuisine, which is often peppered with family (meaning usually, the grandparents’) favorites; this is because the holiday is centered around ancestral rites, which involve setting up a table of your finest and offering the feast to your ancestors as a means of paying respect. There are regional differences in the food that is served; for instance, at my paternal grandparents’, we always had a skate dish of some sort (usually raw or steamed) because it’s considered a delicacy in the southwestern region of Korea where my family is from, and because my grandmother loves the fish. But there are staple holiday foods you find in every family: Rice cakes, and in particular those called song-pyun, which are particular to the Thanksgiving holiday. They look like small balls, and are stuffed with mashed red or sweet yellow beans, or with a sugar, honey and sesame seed mixture. On my mother’s side, we used to make these rice cakes at home when my grandmother was still alive. Then there is the jeon, or what I translate loosely as pancakes. Generally, if you go to Korean restaurants you will find the small or larger versions of them made solely of vegetables or with an assortment of seafood, but during the holidays they are decadent: Entire pieces the highest quality beef or fish pounded out flat, dusted with flour and then coated in egg wash before they are slowly heated on the pan. Women spend an inordinate amount of time pounding the meat and then cooking these on the pan; using low heat is key so that the meat is moist, tender, but still well-done. My mother has horror stories from her newlywed days when she would spend literally entire days before the holidays cooking jeon with her sisters-in-law.

Hope this gives you some idea as to what the food is like! I’ll try to find some pictures of the Thanksgiving meals as they are truly decadent and elaborate.

hello!

this was a splendid response!

we could picture the table (from feasts we attended during the last Day Job when it took us to Seoul) set with the small plates and finery – but the detail was Very Important – yes, yes, please post on your site and we’ll link to you after your Thanksgiving (are there special things that one wears too? like the holiday sweater of dubious taste that was so well portrayed in Bridget Jones’ Diary?)

lovely.

thank you again for taking time to write such a considered reply :-)

*wavingtoseoul*

_tg xx

3. Gallivanta says:

Gosh, Who You Are in RL is really doing an awful lot of swot. Impressive. Intriguing. Tell us more when you can. Any pretty pictures from your visit to George? I did so like the gift with its beautiful paper and ribbon.

hello :-)

it wasn’t just George (there were other people there) so it didn’t feel appropriate to snap away plus they didn’t know who-we-are-in-RL is, well, also Us.

*smiling*

mostly Consulting (so can’t share) but the tech article comes out Oct in Spanish so perhaps we can share a bit of the English – not sure. Such Fun!

thanks awfully for asking.

most kind.