we’re a Tiny Bit Late!

we wrote another 1000 words into the Novel

answered emails.

dealt with Tasks.

sighed over rescheduling.

admired the sunlight through the enfilade

viewer

looked over to count the books-by-the-bed as per Heather‘s note.

viewer-1

ignored the landline because we seem to have been caught on some Hideous Telemarketing List and so it rings but no one is there and suddenly a voice asks:

are you unhappy with your carpet cleaner?

depressing.

(but the answer is no, not that we tell Them that, as we hang up like a cross movie star in her satin robe).

talking of satin robes.

we have a gorgeous one.

here’s a close-up.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

it has the translucent shimmer of a night on-board a crossing of the Queen Mary (especially when nestled up against the DKNY leather jacket).

talking of crossings on the Queen Mary (or – The Normandie – *deepexhale*) – did we ever show you our Treasure of an original 1920s Passenger List for a crossing of an Ocean Liner on the French Line?

this particular passenger list is one shivering-ly-annotated by one of the other 1st class passengers upon seeing silent movie star Ramon Novarro having his stack of original Louis Vuitton Trunks wheeled up the gang-plank (we imagine, with some mistily-eyed-expression)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAthe passenger list inspired us to buy the satin robe, in fact, as it looks Exactly like the one the poppet is wearing as she catches the ocean breezes during sunrise, non?

of course we rarely Wear It.

it’s a prop, darlings.

viewer

welcome to Hollywood.

8 thoughts on “satin robes, leather jackets and 1920s passenger lists from silent movie star crossings.

1. Jenna says:

What a relic! I love it. Consider this an official request to see up close of ALL of your artwork. ;) Also, I’m glad to hear you do indeed use the satin robe—even if not in full force. As a mere prop for Instagram, I’ve been grateful to be able to admire its beauty! I used to have a kimono but then it became such a hassle to try and keep properly closed while lounging on the weekends…

that’s why we love the blue-blue-brooks-bros Robe – it was made in the gentlemen’s outfitters and so has a canny Inside Belt to keep everything discreet with an outside belt for Show.

very clever.

unlike the satin robe which is just very pretty.

No! Don’t break my bubble! Please tell me that you DO wear that satin robe every day when needed for just this morning I was fingering my flannel pjs (very 30s style but still) and thinking, “There must be a better option than this…” I am working hard on not saving things but using them for everyday, save for the Bacarat goblets as I am clumsy when sleep-deprived…like tonight so…Bonne Nuit!

Now rested. Thank you. Verrry unusual dreams though as does happen when my brain needs to play catch up. Just popping back as I realized that I left the Normandie reference go unacknowledged, which must be some sort of crime against the style gods and I don’t wish to incur their wrath. So I join you in that Glorious exhale. And also to add, my, that is a rather saucy drawing for the passenger list, isn’t it? Do you think it was done in advance to lure Mr. Novarro onboard?
        Bisous et Bon Journée à LA!

3. William Godwin says:

When they ask to speak to me by name, I sometimes say ‘No’, and when they say ‘why?’ I sometimes say ‘because he’s dead!’ plus I have an answer machine rather than voicemail and, as you know, when I hear it is an intimate, or a necessary practical thing, I pick up.

true……..that’s why we love to say, “William……..William…….William…..?” just In Case.

and we Never enquire about your carpet cleaner. Or long gone Eminent Statesman.

it wouldn’t be polite, Lady Penelope.