now Aubrey was Nominated by some delightful powdered wigs and deposed heads of state so we Rushed to accept the nomination and be in such Illustrious Company.
apparently there are Certain Rules:
Tell 11 things about yourself –
Answer to the best of your ability the 11 questions that are asked of you.
Nominate 11 bloggers for this award – let them know too, please –
Ask the above nominees 11 questions of your own, or use the questions you were asked.
dearest Aubrey – a heartfelt thanks – truly. For your kindness in nominating teamgloria but also for your virtual visits and kind missives left therein.
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.
11 Facts about teamgloria
1. we were hot-housed (educated with flashcards in at least two languages and sent to school at 2.5 years old – in a Very Fetching dark navy pinafore which we remember liking Very Much)
2. we have about six different names – heritage one (never received), christened one, later one, much later one, 2 x pseudonyms (one needs to stay anonymous and teamgloria)
3. we can read the naughty bits in Juvenal in the original Latin.
4. being a vidal sassoon hair model in London in 1988 got us a walk on part in a peter greenaway movie.
5. Sybille Bedford is our favo(u)rite writer.
6. nearly every cool job (and scholarship to boarding school) we have ever got has been because we Wrote A Letter.
7. our middle name (in RL) is Simone (after de Beauvoir and Nina)
8. we once interviewed fashion photographer David Sims over a tuna melt in Diana’s Diner near Covent Garden.
9. we wrote the cover story to one of the final issues of Punch (founded 1841) magazine (before it got revived again, and then closed for good – so far).
10. the college colo(u)rs at the University we went to were purple and green (Suffragette colours)
11. we have the same birthday as Vita Sackville-West.
and now……..To the Questions (from Aubrey)!
1 Why did you start blogging?
we needed a cloak of anonymity, a connection with others who had experienced similar terror and a place to express how frightened we were at getting a diagnosis of three tumors in our throat and a surgery date ahead.
2 Do you find that you usually prefer the book or movie version?
always the book (actors never look how we imagine the characters did).
3 Are you wearing jewelry now? Bonus points if a parure is involved.
we just removed our sapphire studs to write, actually.
4 Name five places you would never want to visit again.
vegas, peacehaven, amsterdam, queens park, elephant & castle – for various bad memories in our story.
5 Ocean or lake?
ocean – pacific, please
6 What is the first book you couldn’t live without?
ballet shoes by noel streatfeild – we suddenly realized that there were People Who Wrote Books and didn’t go to school/work and we wanted to become one of them.
7 Are you one of those bloggers that believe that people resemble their icons? Do you, for instance, think that I am wearing a periwig and holding a star?
absolutely. (we are never without a virtual cloche)
8 If you were alive in 1902 would you be tempted to ride in one of those new car-things or would you prefer to continue driving your four-in-hand?
a car and a tiara and a devil-may-care attitude.
9 Which actor has provided you with your favorite rendition of Sherlock Holmes?
10 You’re getting dressed for work. You open your closet and find your clothes are not from this decade. Are you happy about this? What decade do you hope is represented?
1930s with suitably restrictive underwear.
11 Have you ever mixed a cocktail – for either yourself or others?
only in 1991 when we were paid to do so.
that felt Revealing.
we are going to come up with 11 new questions and nominate the following blogs!
1. candles or spot-lights?
2. how many books do you have next to the bed?
3. when did you last read in a cafe and what did you eat?
4. when did you set up your blog and why?
5. what was the last film/movie you saw?
6. what was the first single you bought?
7. chocolate or cheese? discuss.
8. do you identify with any of the characters in Pretty In Pink? If so, which one? And – still?
9. Maria Callas or Madonna Ciccone?
10. you’ve been invited to (where?) for supper – name the 11 other guests (alive/passed-on/haunting-you-still)
11. is there a meaning to life? do you need one?
and the blogs ARE = teamgloria *opensenvelope* the Nominations Are……….*drumroll* (by the way, as this award is more of an Expressing of Love than an Actual Award and ceremony that requires a new outfit/diet/flirting for, we are ignoring the original rules which are that the blogs one “nominates” have less than a certain number of followers – as everyone knows, one never asks a Lady or a Gentleman their Age of number of Lovers so these are just the writers we admire because we want to hear their answers…….)
8. miss whistle
11. killer femme