whistle a happy tune. Or some other psychological trickery that works.

Make believe you’re brave
And the trick will take you far
You may be as brave
As you make believe you are

as much as we adore the tinklingly-beautiful-voice and correct pronunciation of Marni Nixon aka voice-of-Deborah Kerr, we have to say THIS is our completely favo(u)rite version.

or maybe this one……(although we’re not sure about the peach macintosh)

we digress.

what do you do, darlings, when you’re afraid?

Screen shot 2013-02-11 at 7.23.18 AM

do you watch The Muppet Show?

(did we ever tell you that every time we drive up – or down – La Brea – we wave to Kermit?)

1b_lotimage

do you settle down against the back cushions of the couch and watch a Doris Day and Mr. Hudson movie?

6a013487cd29a5970c0147e1400a00970b-800wi

do you admire the natural beauty of the mountains while driving-to-sunday-lunch in the Valley beyond the Valley?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

do you go for a long walk at twilight and take photographs of twinkling nights like pearls between buildings softly settling down into the evening light?

twinklelightsattwilight

perhaps you wait for dawn to arrive, poised with grown-up camera and just sit quietly at the end of the bed and take deep breaths and know that everything will be ok.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

do you buy yourself white roses and polish up a small silver cup – just like you admired in a magazine years ago and create a still-life?

viewer

do you take a nap under cool sheets and warm comforters/duvets and listen to the birds sing outside?OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

do you get in the car and drive-drive-drive while listening to the radio and sing along to all the bits you know from sappy-call-in-love-songs-shows?OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

do you go and sit by the Ocean and let the sound of the crashing surf block out the cRAzy thoughts?OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

do you ask people (nicely) to help with stuff or maybe just listen?

do you take a swim and let the sunshine tickle the back of your neck?OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Make believe you’re brave
And the trick will take you far
You may be as brave
As you make believe you are

we actually don’t whistle very well.

and yet we do Try.

the rest of the psychological trickery we are Very good at ;-)

what do You do?

do. tell.

11 thoughts on “whistle a happy tune. Or some other psychological trickery that works.

I turn on all of the lights.
    I clean.
    I take a near painfully hot shower (oh for a bath!) with fine-smelling soap.
    I go for a walk by the Rhone and watch the river flow to remember that everything changes, nothing is permanent.
    And if I am afraid that things are really going to fall utterly to sh*t, that I have already started over twice in life and my family and friends are there for me no matter what.

Love,
    H

Clearly the coffee hadn’t done it’s magic–poof!–when I wrote because I forgot a verry important one:
      Build your own armour. For me that means put on dark red lipstick and a pair of solid boots plus a dose of the “good” perfume. This is my “when in doubt, dress the part” theory as well.
      And: Singing Adele’s “Turning Tables” at the TOP of my lungs, with hand gestures, very diva, very tough. Oooh. Trust me, you don’t want to be around when that one is required!! ;)

*smilingincalifornia*

wasn’t sure which Adele track that was so playing it Right Now while reading your response.

PARFAIT!

off to buy some decent french soap later today – the oatmeal one from trader joes is not cutting it – you inspired us.

2. julia says:

i eat chocolate.
    i watch the clouds fly by.
    i buy a new nailpolish.
    i talk to a friend.
    but the best thing i can recommend is: blow some soap bubbles. the breathing always calms you down and watching the pretty bubbles fly away makes your fear fly away too. try it!

loved your post. it is beyond beautiful.

sending love from berlin.
    julia

3. William Godwin says:

3 of yours are 3 of mine. The sea, walking and driving. And if you can drive to, and then go for a walk by the sea, then that it the best. I like to stand infront of the waves and ‘commune’ a little. So much power, so much beauty and so much hypnotic wonder. A pot of Fortnum’s tea and some nice cake also can work wonders. Xx

4. Stacy @bklynstacy says:

Bravery. I think the concept is so misunderstood! It isn’t strength or lack of fear and doubt. But the ability to push past those things. For me, I do this: Just Begin. And the rest tends to take care of itself. xo